VETERINARY PHYSIOTHERAPY CENTERPets can now benefit from the same advanced therapeutic techniques utilized in human medicine -- improve your pet's health and happiness with acupuncture, hydrotherapy, laser treatment and pain management therapy.
We offer the most comprehensive animal rehabilitation center in Idaho, including state-of-the-art veterinary physiotherapy equipment and a highly trained staff. As Idaho’s first veterinary hospital to provide canine and feline physical rehabilitation through the use of a Ferno Underwater Treadmill, canine land treadmill, and therapeutic exercise, hundreds of animals have been treated at WestVet. Led by Teri Dowdell, DVM, Certified Canine Rehabilitation Therapist (CCRT), our team will work with your family veterinarian to develop a customized program for your pet.
Veterinary Physiotherapy Services
- Postoperative orthopedic and neurological rehabilitation; patients recovering from orthopedic or neurologic surgery receive physiotherapy the moment they leave the operating room and continuing throughout their stay at our hospital. Upon discharge, a physiotherapy consultation with Dr. Dowdell is scheduled with your pet’s suture removal appointment.
- Weight loss
- Osteoarthritis management
- Pre-season conditioning for hunting dogs, sport, and/or agility dogs
- Pain management
- Therapeutic massage/manual therapy
- Range of motion and stretching
- Strengthening and endurance training
- Gait training
- Aerobic conditioning
- Laser therapy
- Muscle and movement re-education
- Therapeutic exercise
- Heat/Cold therapy
Acupuncture is the insertion of very fine needles into anatomically defined points on the body. Stimulation of these points produces physiological changes which can modify pain, decrease muscle tension, improve circulation, enhance the immune system, and stimulate neurological function. The practice of acupuncture therapy has grown in veterinary medicine just as it has in human medicine. Access a list of FAQ’s HERE.
Does your pet have pain? An injury? Muscle spasms? Acupuncture can effectively treat those ailments and others. Read about the benefits of veterinary acupuncture HERE.
How Physiotherapy Can Benefit Your Pet
Veterinary physiotherapy includes therapeutic exercise performed in conjunction with physical modalities such as hydrotherapy, cryotherapy, ultrasound, neuromuscular electrical stimulation, and acupuncture to improve patients’ recovery with both chronic and acute conditions.
Health benefits include:
- restored mobility
- decreased pain
- improved quality of life
- greater strength and fitness
- enhanced agility
Access a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding veterinary physiotherapy HERE.
If you’re curious about how WestVet’s physiotherapy team can improve your pet’s quality of life, call us at 208.375.1600 for an appointment.
DVM, CCRT, Veterinary Physiotherapist