HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPYHyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) can accelerate healing, help fight infection, and reduce stress and pain in pets.
WestVet’s state-of-the-art HBOT chamber was specifically designed for use in a small animal hospital. This cutting edge, pain-free therapy is often an invigorating experience for sick or injured animals.
Upon pressurization at 100% oxygen, the HBOT chamber enables patients to absorb up to four times the amount of oxygen as compared to normal air — enhancing the natural healing process.
Patients frequently experience the following results:
- Larger quantities of oxygen absorption in blood, plasma, and other body fluids
- Increased oxygen levels throughout the body
- Stimulation of the bodies’ immune response
- Expedited healing process
- Inhibited growth of some bacteria, including anaerobic organisms
HBOT is an adjunctive treatment provided with other forms of veterinary specialty medicine. Typically HBOT care is administered in multiple treatments; your pet’s care regime will be outlined by your specialist.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Veterinary Medicine
HBOT uses pressurized oxygen in the treatment of many common diseases and injuries including:
- Wound healing and post-surgical recovery
- Neuropathic injuries:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Immune-mediated inflammatory diseases
- Burns/smoke inhalation
- Skin grafts
- Snake/insect bites
- Infections (bone or fungal)
Ask your family veterinarian about a referral.